To Lucidity and Beyond

Feel free to talk about anything not related to lucid dreaming and out-of-body travel

To Lucidity and Beyond

Postby Summerlander » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:25 pm

I've been writing a book about my account of the phase state. The image above is an idea for a book cover. Looking back, it seems that my practice has changed me. I am not the person I used to be. Sure, people grow old and mature but I am pretty sure that the phase has helped me to develop new brain connections which led to interesting insights and a creativity boost. The phase shows us a world full of wonder and mystery.

We cannot know anything beyond the realm of sensations. Period. In the end, it doesn’t really matter what people choose to believe about the nature of what goes on in the phase as long as they learn to enter it and draw their own logical conclusions if they wish. What is of more value, in my opinion, is what we do with it as a tool in order to improve the quality of our lives - regardless of whether what is experienced is entirely the product of our minds or something more. As a poet and friend of mine once said to me: “I don’t know how electricity works, but I know it works.”

You may have noticed that the title of this book is similar to Buzz Lightyear’s popular catchphrase: “To infinity and beyond!” In the Toy Story animation, a young and naïve Buzz is ready to start his adventure from the fantastical perspective that he is a spaceman fighting an intergalactic war against another space figure called Emperor Zurg. This perspective, however, is delusional. From the get-go, this is something he believes to be his reality - which is only reinforced by the illusion that propaganda for Buzz Lightyear toys conveys. This, to me, is analogous to what happens to a lot of people who begin to engage in the adventure promised by the phase state with the initial perspective that they are somehow leaving the earthly realm to perambulate another objective world populated by other beings.

Soon, with experience, they realise that things are not quite as they seemed at first (just as Buzz did). I often think of myself as being like a mature Buzz Lightyear. When I first started, I went through a delusional stage but always had an element of inquisition inside me. Now I know I am not really flying when I fly in the phase. Like Buzz, I also discovered that there is something far more valuable that I have gained with experience. A strong sense of self-belief which reinforces confidence in getting practical results. With effort, this is something that one can achieve through the practice and application of the phase state.

You may have thought at first that the title meant that one reaches lucidity during sleep and can go beyond in terms of venturing into another objective world. But, as the experience expressed in this book has taught me, and, as it will become quite clear to any reader who approaches the end of this book, the phrase implies a different meaning in that the word “beyond” has got more to do with understanding something than anything else. The real message is analogous to the Buzz Lightyear context. Indeed: To Lucidity and Beyond.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Re: To Lucidity and Beyond

Postby Molecule » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 am

How far until you finish your work? I would be interested to read it :-)
Molecule
PHASER
PHASER

Re: To Lucidity and Beyond

Postby Summerlander » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:06 am

I really couldn't say. It could still take me another year or so. I already have a good bulk going and proofread it repeatedly. I'm also carrying out experiments in order to formulated new observations. The book will also provide a sense of adventure. My art will illustrate quite a few of my experiences too. It will be very rich indeed and one of its aims is to give the novice a good perspective of what it's like.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Return to General Discussions