Re: Anchors for Becoming Lucid in Dreams - Any Success With This?

Feel free to talk about anything not related to lucid dreaming and out-of-body travel
Th3TruthizInThere
PHASER
PHASER

Anchors for Becoming Lucid in Dreams - Any Success With This?

Post by Th3TruthizInThere »

I am trying to establish anchors between physical reality and the dream state in order to become conscious in the phase. I have selected doors (basically any door-like object with hinges), doorways, and women as visual queues to question myself in reality: "Am I dreaming?" The idea is that while I keep answering "No" to this question while in the wakened state of physical reality, the idea is to encounter these same queues in the dream state, and if the answer is "Yes" or "I don't know" to be instantly aware that it is a dream.

I am finding this is more difficult than it sounds though. I pass by doors and women all day and miss the opportunity to ponder the question, let alone just recognize that they are doors, doorways, or women. I'm not giving up though. Has anyone experienced a measure of success with this, and if so, how long did it take before you started seeing results? Happy Flying!  8)
Harmless as Doves... Wise as Serpents!
JorgeLTE
PHASER
PHASER

Post by JorgeLTE »

Hi there.
A year ago, when I was reading "Exploring the wolrd of lucid dreaming" by Stephen LaBerge, I practiced some prospective memory exercises featured in the book. They were really helpfull.

Here:

"To successfully induce lucid dreams with MILD (MILD means Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dream, a dream counciousness method), you need to have certain capacities. First of all, if you can’t reliably remember to carry out future intentions while awake, there is little chance that you will remember to do anything while asleep. So before attempting MILD, you need to prove to yourself that you can indeed remember
to do things while awake:

1. Read the day’s targets
2. Look for your targets during the day
3. Keep track of how many target events you hit
4. Continue the exercise for at least one week

Perform a reality check...
SUNDAY:
The next time I see a pet or animal
The next time look at my face in a mirror
The next time turn on a light
The next time see a flower

MONDAY:
The next time write anything down
The next time feel pain
The next time I hear someone say my name
The next time I drink something

TUESDAY:
The next time I see a traffic light
The next time I hear music
The next time I throw something in the garbage
The next time I hear laughter

WEDNESDAY:
The next time I turn on a television or radio
The next time I see a vegetable
The next time I see a red car
The next time I handle money

THURSDAY:
The next time I read something other than this list
The next time I check the time
The next time I notice myself daydreaming
The next time I hear the telephone ringing

FRIDAY:
The next time I open a door
The next time I see a bird
The next time I use the toilet after noon
The next time I see the stars

SATURDAY:
The next time I put a key in a lock
The next time I see an advertisement
The next time I eat anything after breakfast
The next time I see a bicycle"

I performed this exercise for the entire week. It improved my prospective memory to do reality checks during dreams, and also increased the vividness and recall of my dreams.

Hope it helps, and sorry for the long post.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

I'll give my example here.  I haven't just picked my cues in order to become lucid.  I dream a lot about toilets so I decided that every time I encounter one, a reality check should be performed.  My dreams helped me pick my cues.  The more you record, observe and study your dreams, the more likely it is that you will become familiar with them and thus increase your chances of entering the phase via dream consciousness.

In waking life, every time I see a toilet, I ask myself if I'm dreaming.  But I just don't ask the question for the sake of appearances.  I try to answer the question with confirmations by using understanding I have acquired from my dreaming.  In wakefulness, I never assume that I must be awake because the world feels so solid and real.  This, I think, is a mistake that a lot of people make.  Dreams can be just as real.  The very experience of reality is a very elaborate and persistent dream.  As long as we are conscious, we are always dreaming.  The difference is that, right now, as you sit at your computer and read this you are "dreaming" true.  This dreaming that you do in wakefulness is largely governed by sensory input from the physical world.  The dreaming you do at night (or whenever you sleep), on the other hand, is unconstrained by physical sensations.  As Stephen LaBerge put it, in your sleep you dream free.

So how do I answer the question "Am I dreaming?"  Well, for starters, this question is asked every time I use the toilet.  I always remember to say to myself: "Am I dreaming?" - then I think about what happened five minutes ago, an hour ago... etc. - Do I remember waking up in the morning and having breakfast?  If I don't, I must be dreaming.  If I do, there is a good chance that I'm awake but I don't stop questioning reality there.  I look at the sink and notice the red and blue tap.  I look away and think that I can swap their colours.  I do this repeatedly.  I look away and loo back.  If the colours swap, I am definitely dreaming.  If they don't, there is a good chance that I'm awake but I still don't stop questioning reality there.  Sometimes I try to defy gravity when I'm done using the toilet.  If I can't fly, I still don't stop questioning reality...

The one reality check that I never fail to perform is the hyper-concentration method mentioned in SOBT.  I look at my index finger for more than ten seconds at close range.  If it distorts or goes askew, then I am dreaming.  This check is one of the most reliable.

In fact, after a series of reality checks such as the ones I've described, I very much doubt that the dream world will be able to fool you.

The pinched nose method is fairly reliable too as long as it is performed with conviction:
http://research.obe4u.com/pinched-nose- ... -of-phase/
Last edited by Summerlander on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE PHASE = waking consciousness during sleep hybridisation at 40Hz of brainwave activity conducive to lucid dreaming and autoscopy.
Th3TruthizInThere
PHASER
PHASER

JorgeLTE wrote: Hi there.
A year ago, when I was reading "Exploring the wolrd of lucid dreaming" by Stephen LaBerge, I practiced some prospective memory exercises featured in the book. They were really helpfull.

Wow Jorge, that is a really involved set of lists. I can see how following this for a week could heighten this perception. I will have to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing!  8)
Th3TruthizInThere
PHASER
PHASER

Summerlander wrote: In fact, after a series of reality checks such as the ones I've described, I very much doubt that the dream world will be able to fool you.
That is a lot of reality checks Summerlander. I don't know if I'd have the patience to do all of those- but I guess that is a more sure way to not plummet out of a physical window you intended to fly from. I don't know if you can relate, but it reminds me of the Spongebob Squarepants episode where Spongebob is giving bubble blowing lessons. There are all these complex steps you have to do just right in order to blow a beautiful bubble. Especially the part where you turn around a couple of times and mentally flip the red for blue on the faucet. Oh heck, just check it out for yourself!  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EJ7TQLVKWQ thanks for taking time to comment on this! Its just good karma!
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

LOL!  :D

I love Spongebob!  It's so funny and my kids like to watch it sometimes.  By the way, I've also read Stephen LaBerge's Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming.  It is certainly very informative and quite rich.  You don't want to miss it! :P
THE PHASE = waking consciousness during sleep hybridisation at 40Hz of brainwave activity conducive to lucid dreaming and autoscopy.
DreamInception

Post by DreamInception »

In my opinion I think that just any door or women are just way too general. Unless you live in a remote farm with no women around, then a door would be more special and have more meaning.

The thing is that if you get to pass too many doors then it just loses it's sense of having a formal meaning, for those doors to represent something unique. How about instead of just a random door you narrow it more down, to let's say, maybe a red door?  Or a laminated door?  I think there needs to be a level of balance so that way your anchor represents something meaningful and unique and not just a broad generalization.  But then again, whatever works for you best. 

This is all about trying out different things all the time and continuing to do what works best for oneself. Best of luck.
TheOnerous
PHASER
PHASER

Post by TheOnerous »

I did this. I wrote down my dreamsigns (which are pretty far from being consistent, but were generally about my friends and partners) and imagined I saw them throughout the day and did affirmations such as: "I'll see Fred and ask if I'm dreaming".

It didn't work. Not at all. Never became lucid from seeing a friend, never thought to RC when seeing a friend. I put an immense amount of work and effort into it.

That's just my personal experience. I'm sure this approach works fine for some.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

Categorise dreamsigns.  Follow the dream inventory and do the exercise pre-MILD from LaBerge's book.  Remember not to be obsessive about it and with any method that you use, you must have confidence.  This is also true for SOBT.  If you decide that entering the phase via dream consciousness is not for you then start practising indirect techniques and the deferred method described in SOBT.  You bypass playing the reality detective 24/7 if you are going to use separation techniques to enter the phase.
Th3TruthizInThere
PHASER
PHASER

Summerlander wrote: Categorise dreamsigns.  Follow the dream inventory and do the exercise pre-MILD from LaBerge's book.  Remember not to be obsessive about it and with any method that you use, you must have confidence.  This is also true for SOBT.  If you decide that entering the phase via dream consciousness is not for you then start practising indirect techniques and the deferred method described in SOBT.  You bypass playing the reality detective 24/7 if you are going to use separation techniques to enter the phase.
I just found the book in PDF and will be definitely be reading it. What do you mean by "Categorise dreamsigns"? Finally, why do I have to bypass LD detection techniques if I am wanting to use separation techniques. You can't hedge your bets by doing both? I definitely don't want to hinder myself by being an overachiever, I guess I just want to be able to compare and contrast the phase experience quality between separation techniques and LD. LD has been the major concentration of experience so far, and I want to see if separation ends up as hazy and disappointing. Thanks!
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

You'll understand about how to methodically categorise dreamsigns by reading about LaBerge's Dream Inventory.  This is only a way to do it.  You can develop your own way.  Dreamsigns can have different natures. 

It can be what you feel, think and emotions experienced while dreaming which can be unusual and recurrent.  Dreamsigns can also be about anomalous objects, people, settings etc. etc.  List them and pay attention to the ones that show up more often.

Definitely read the whole book.  It is very helpful for people who want to practise the phase.  By the way, you can do both the MILD and Raduga's indirect method of phase entrance.  You can try them all out.  I usually find myself entering the phase in different ways and don't focus so much on methods or the exact method I've used.  But then again I have gained a certain level of experience and find that the phase often comes to me when I least expect it.

For the novice, perhaps it is wise to try different methods but focusing on the one that works the most.  Indirect techniques are certainly universally effective whereas with the MILD and dream consciousness methods you may have to rely on memory and the latter may need to be exercised.

Finally, in answer to your question, it doesn't matter how you enter the phase.  However you enter it, you may find a fuzzy environment or a world that is highly defined and hyper-realistic.  If it is fuzzy, you can always use deepening techniques which will intensify and often prolong the experience.

Also read SOBT and good luck! :)
Th3TruthizInThere
PHASER
PHASER

Thanks Summerlander!  I did read all of SOBT except for the part directed at the highest level practitioner. Now I only go back to the part for beginners. I'm sure I will read it again at some point. Before I do that I need to get through La Berge's book...

You say that it should be fine to do Indirect Techniques and LD at the same time.  If you are resting days off for Indirect techniques, do you think it is ok to still do affirmations and visualizations to requisition LD experiences every night- or is that too much?
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

You don't have to do it everyday for the dream consciousness method while taking a break from the indirect method.  Sometimes taking a break from not trying whatsoever can prove quite fruitful as it seems to allow your mind to fulfil any phase induction programming that you may have consciously or unconsciously set during the period when you were actually trying to enter the state.  This is where the phase comes to you when you least expect it. 

In my humble opinion, I think it depends on the individual.  If you think that it might be a burden for you to do daily reality checks, use autosuggestion or MILD and do everything to become lucid while dreaming then my advice would be to avoid getting stressed if you have stuff on.

Then again, I think it is important to enjoy making the preparations for entering the phase.  Those affirmations should be done in the right way and you will find more advice in LaBerge's Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming in regards to this.  It is more effective to tell yourself that you would like to enter the phase because it is fun rather than putting pressure on yourself by saying "I must enter the phase tonight".

There is also some sound advice on the number of attempts in relation to practitioners and their experience in SOBT.  Whatever your case, even when you take a break from trying, it is still a good idea to record dreams in your journal and identify recurrent dreamsigns.

You might also find that, just by reading LaBerge's book, you might start having several lucid dreams without even trying.  This happened to me.  Reading about the subject daily will constantly remind you of it and appears to increase the chances of phase entrance via dream consciousness.
Last edited by Summerlander on Fri May 11, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.